What checks are carried out?
As part of the Trading Standards Checked Scheme, Kent County Council (KCC) carries out stringent checks to support only legitimate and reliable businesses and to help consumers find reputable and trusted traders.
Each business on this scheme is thoroughly vetted, and assessed against our scheme criteria. For more information on our criteria, and why businesses may not be accepted to the scheme, please see section 4 of our terms and conditions before you submit your application.
Our scheme vetting includes:
- Rigorous background checks carried out by Trading Standards regarding consumer complaints and non-compliance with legislation.
- A review of confidential and restricted information supplied by external organisations, other public authorities and the police, in addition to checking information that is freely available to the public.
- Public Liability Insurance check.
- Identification checks.
- Credit Checks (including Insolvency, Bankruptcy and County Court Judgements).
- Mandatory Accreditation and Qualification checks.
- Verification of trading address / registered address.
- Checks into company trading history.
In addition to these checks, any complaints made to the Citizens Advice Consumer Service (CACS) about any trader registered on this scheme are monitored continuously to ensure a consistently high standard is maintained by our checked traders throughout their membership.
Trading Standards Checked means that a business has passed our robust background checks, they understand they are required to comply with all relevant UK legislation and they receive support and advice to help them act responsibly, fairly and honestly. Members of the scheme are individual businesses who are advised and supported within the scheme but this does not prevent things from going wrong or guarantee the quality of workmanship.
If things go wrong you can seek advice from the Citizens Advice Consumer Service. When you contact this service, you will receive advice on how to resolve any issues you may have. KCC Trading Standards will continue to monitor complaints on all individual members of the scheme and reserves the right to take action where necessary.