Trade accreditations

Every trader that joins the scheme will have their mandatory accreditations and qualifications checked.

Raising The Standard

Have you noticed badges on our members pages? Some of our members are going above and beyond to protect you, the residents of Kent.

These badges show that the business has completed training to improve their Covid safety, customer service, compliance with consumer rights and more.

Does the business have the right accreditations?

Gas work

Every registered business will employ engineers who are issued with a Gas Safe ID card. Not all engineers are qualified for all types of gas work so check before you choose a trader.

Electrical work

If you need electrical installation work done in your home, we recommend that you use an electrician registered with one of the government-approved schemes.

Waste disposal

Ask how waste will be disposed of and search the Environment Agency Register to check that they have the necessary license(s). It is your waste so even if you employ a trader to remove it on your behalf it is your responsibility to ensure it is disposed of in line with regulations. If not, you could be fined.


Not all traders who provide you with a quote carry out the work themselves. They may work alongside other sub-contractors or hire sub-contractors to complete the job. Make sure you find out who will be working in your home. Anyone working for the trader will have to follow the Code of Conduct.

When you search for a trader, you can always check that they are a member of Trading Standards Checked (TSC) using their unique logo. Each trader has a unique reference number as part of their TSC logo and this can be used to check that they are a member of the scheme. Simply enter the unique number into the search tool on the homepage.

Be aware that "Trading Standards Approved" logos are no longer valid. If you see this logo being used by any trader, please let us know.

What if things go wrong?

If things go wrong you can seek advice from the Citizens Advice consumer service. KCC Trading Standards monitors complaints on all individual members of the scheme.

Contact Citizens Advice

0808 223 1133